This is delicious stuff! Hard to believe that its not chuck roast. I started with my basic seitan recipe:
1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 -2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two. it doesn’t need long.
- Place in a well oiled dutch oven. Pour 4 cups of vegetable broth and 3 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce over the seitan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Turn the seitan and cover. Continue to bake for another 1 1/2 hours.
- Add 4-5 quartered red skin potatoes, 3-4 sliced carrots, and a whole sliced onion. Cover and continue to bake for 1 1/2 more hours.